From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2013 - 15:16:20 CDT

Hi,
  If you have trouble with STRIDE, you can tell VMD to force STRIDE
to recompute secondary structure later using the "mol ssrecalc" command...
If it has failed, VMD won't automatically retry later, but if you edit
the structure as proposed below, you can manually trigger the recalc
using the text commands.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/