From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu May 09 2013 - 10:35:21 CDT

Hi,
  In your note below there are several statements that are somewhat
unclear. What is it that you're trying to export to STL, a surface mesh,
or something else? You haven't really explained in what way the .stl files
you're generating "don't match" the originals. If you would like more
assistance, you will either need to provide much more detail, or you may
need to post your input and output files somewhere so that we can inspect them.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/