From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2013 - 14:21:40 CDT

Hi,
  What program are you using to view the resulting BMP Bitmap file?
I'm wondering if that program has some incompatibility with the
bitmap format that Tachyon generates. You might try rendering to a
24-bit Targa file instead, if you like:
    C:\Program Files\University of Illinois\VMD\tachyon_WIN32.exe
    -aasamples 12 Figure1.dat -format Targa -res 3000 3000 -o Figure1.dat.tga

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/