From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2012 - 22:20:11 CST

Kasra,
  Although your other OpenGL apps don't cause the freeze, that doesn't
mean anything. Unless they use the same OpenGL features that VMD does,
they may not push OpenGL very hard. Recompiling VMD from source will make
no difference, as VMD is not the source of your problem. As I said before
it is your video driver, X11, kernel, or combination of the above that
are causing this problem since you only started having the problem after
you ran a linux update...

By the way, the compilation steps you had below aren't
entirely correct. After running the configure script, you need to
cd to the src directory, and then do "make" there. After that completes,
you would then "cd ..", then run "./make_distrib LINUXAMD64 opengl"
or do a "make install", whichever you prefer.