From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2012 - 09:34:06 CDT

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Han Hu <edendrexel_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using VMD to visualize the trajectories of MD simulations performed
> with LAMMPS. I choose "VDM" as the drawing method. The problem is for large
> systems (half million atoms), it becomes very slow for VMD to display the
> results and it always takes long time for VMD to respond after I make a
> command, e.g. rotating the view. I wonder whether it is related with the
> graphic card. If so, we may need to purchase a computer with better graphic
> card to make it easier to visualize our large system. Currently, I am using
> a two-core computer, 4G memory and a NVIDIA Geforce GT 330

at half a million particles using a VDW rep is going
to overload *any* graphics card. and it makes very
little sense. assume that you have a display with
1920x1200 pixel. then you have about 4.5 pixel
per particle.

you should use the "Points" representation instead,
which is *much* faster and then - if really, really
needed - switch back to VDW for a final image or
to create an input for an external renderer.

you likely can also use smartly chosen selections
to significantly reduce the number of particles that
need to be rendered, and - bingo - things will get
faster again.

HTH,
     axel.