From: Barry Isralewitz (barryi_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2012 - 12:08:42 CDT

Hi,

        A good chance you already know of the following approach, FX, but for those who don't:

        Until FLTK is changed, one workaround here for a MacBook Pro with Retina Display is to temporarily place the Macbook into direct, native 2880x1800 resolution mode, using a utility like SwitchResX,
http://www.madrau.com/indexSRX4.html

        A direct 2880x1800 display on a 15-inch laptop screen renders text and menus about-unusably tiny, so it's obvious why Apple doesn't provide this option by default in Display Preferences, but this does allow an impressively-high resolution VMD session on a laptop.

        The same changes that SwitchResX carries out can be done with free utilities / from the command line, but SwitchResX has a convenient interface, can be set for automatic resolution changes when an application start/quits/becomes frontmost, and claims to help manage items on the desktop as resolution size changes (I haven't much looked into the latter two features).

        For other (free) approaches, see:
4 Ways to Run a Retina MacBook Pro at 2880×1800 Native Resolution
http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/18/3-ways-to-run-a-retina-macbook-pro-at-2880x1800-native-resolution/

        No guarantees on complete reliability for any of these approaches; double-check before presentations that all is well with projector / external monitor output.

                        Cheers,

                        Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz
3043 Beckman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign