From: Marcos Ackel (mvackel_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2012 - 15:17:01 CDT

Hello John, thanks for answering. I've already did this and the Spacenavigator is working in tracker mode - I can move the tool using the device. The problem is how to grab the molecule or part of it to apply forces on it. It seems that the Grab tool should work like tweezers (even when it's not in an Interactive MD?) but I couldn't find a way to grab an atom or the molecule with the tool. Also, using the Tug tool (when running an IMD) I couldn't grab any part of the molecule. I've tried to pick an atom (mouse/pick) but the tool seems to be completely disconnected from it. The (mouse/force/atom) works nicely, but only using the mouse. Marcos ________________________________ From: John Stone Hi,   To use a Spacenavigator with IMD, you need to set it to "tracker" mode, either by clicking the second button until it reports that it's in tracker mode, or by running this command:   spaceball mode tracker You'll also need to have lines like these in your .vmdsensors file: device SpaceballTracker    sballtracker://local/vmdlocal device SpaceballButtons    sballbuttons://local/vmdlocal Aside from these options that use the built-in Spacenavigator support in VMD, you could also run a VRPN server and register it with VMD in the same way that you would do so for a haptic device. Cheers,   John Stone   vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:53:51AM -0700, Marcos Ackel wrote: >    Hello, >    I'm still trying to use the tools available from >    (\menu\Graphics\Tools...)  but I'm not being able to grab the molecule (or >    atom or another part of it). I'm using a Spacenavigator (tryied also a >    joystick) - I can move the tool (the cylinder) but couldn't find a way to >    grab the molecule, during an Interactive MD or not. >    Are those tools designed only for feedback devices, like the Novint >    Falcon? Is it possible to use the Spacenavigator or a joystick to >    manipulate (apply force to) the molecule? >    Thank you, >    Marcos Ackel -- NIH Resource for Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL 61801 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/          Phone: 217-244-3349 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/      Fax: 217-244-6078