From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 13:16:25 CST

Dear Taeho,
  You can make movies in the background, but to do this you must render
them using an external raytracer such as Tachyon, so that VMD will be able
to create the pictures independent of whether it has focus on the OpenGL
display. Long-term I intend to implement OpenGL pbuffer/superbuffer
support in VMD so that VMD can render to non-visible graphics memory,
using OpenGL for WYSIWYG results like what you see on the screen
(same convenience as 'snapshot') but avoiding the requirement that it
be running in the foreground on the display etc. Until I get this done
though, the only good option is to use Tachyon to render your movies
rather than Snapshot. I intend to add further support for other renderers
in the 'vmdmovie' plugin, but I started with Tachyon since I wrote it and
have fine control over how it works with VMD.

Thanks,