From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2012 - 21:14:54 CDT

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM, bsnmrem-obj_at_yahoo.com
<bsnmrem-obj_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Alex:
>
> Here is the post I was referring to:
>
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/1820.html

this is a very old post. i am not aware of what VMD
command john is referring to. i know that there is
an OpenGL primitive that can be used to turn a sphere
into an ellipsoid and john and i have been discussing
on occasion to have this implemented in VMD, but
right now. the only option would be to approximate
the ellipsoid through a set of triangles writing a custom
command as john mentions. you might be able to
make those smooth and look more like an ellipsoid
using the trinorm primitive instead.

axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer
College of Science and Technology