From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 22 2012 - 18:02:31 CDT

Hi,
  You are correct that the existing implementation requires all of
the frames to be loaded. There isn't any way to work around this except
to write your own analysis script that works one frame at a time. One
of the features I am working on for a future version of VMD is out-of-core
trajectory access, which would allow you to do this and other analyses
in a manner similar to the way BigDCD works, but it will support all of
the features that need all of the referenced frames to be loaded as well.