From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 08:57:08 CST

Fred,
  In order to get better rendering performance out of VMD, I suggest
that you do two things:
  1) Upgrade your video board. This will make a huge difference.
     Since you're running Linux, the best options are an NVidia GeForce
     or ATI Radeon series card. Any of them will give you wildly better
     performance than you're getting from the stock Intel graphics chipset
     on that machine. Once you get the ATI or NVidia card, you'll need to
     install the ATI or NVidia provided drivers to get peak performance,
     since the Open Source ATI/NVidia drivers that come with XFree86 don't
     provide much (if any) hardware 3-D acceleration.

  2) Run VMD locally on your workstation rather than remotely. Though
     the rendering calculations are done locally in both cases, there's
     still a lot of network overhead (mainly latency) in doing a remote
     OpenGL display with the type and amount of geometry that a program
     like VMD draws.

  3) You do NOT need to upgrade the video board on the server, the
     server is essentially irrelevant, and you should attempt to run
     everything locally on your desktop, for best performance.

  4) Having a second processor won't make much difference in VMD
     rendering performance at this time, unless you are using
     IMD, in which case the multithreaded VMD builds can use the second
     processor for doing network I/O to improve performance.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,