From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2012 - 21:18:53 CDT

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Vlastimil Zíma <zima_at_karlov.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use VMD I compiled from source code with no problem for more than a year,
> but lately I found that several plugins does not work properly, especially
> Sequence Viewer and Timeline. When one of them is started the window is
> created, but labels are missing (see screen shot in attachment) and output
> is full of X-related errors. When I download compiled version, these plugins
> works, so I assume this is not connected to Composite feature of X server. I
> will be grateful for any suggestion, how to solve this problem.

the plugins you mention are all Tcl/Tk plugins that
use customized fonts. i would suspect that there is
something broken with your Tk installation or font
server configuration. it also could be due to native
language support.

try exporting LC_ALL=C before launching VMD
and check, if the same issue happens with
Tk applications that use custom fonts outside of VMD.

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer