From: J. Nathan Scott (scottjn_at_chemistry.montana.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 26 2012 - 13:07:28 CST

Hi John,

To be honest I don't suppose it matters all that much to me if the plot is
in the VMD display window or in another window, as long as both are visible
at the same time on the desktop screen. The key feature that I'm looking
for, that I've seen in presentations by others, is some sort of time marker
(vertical line, arrow, etc.) that keeps time with the trajectory. I'd like
to be able to drag the VMD time slider back and forth and have the plot
window marker track those movements.

All of the data I'm imagining visualizing this way are just reals, one per
frame, that I've generated by processing the individual trajectory frames
in some fashion. I was thinking a static graph window would be fine, most
of the trajectories I'm working with are fairly short (~5ns) with 5001 1 ps
frames so showing the entire time trajectory of the plotted variable would
not be too crowded I think. I suppose axis limit controls could be useful
(i.e. show only frames 2000 to 3000 in the graph window).

Like I said though, it's the moving marker that keeps time with the
trajectory that I think would be incredibly useful for the analysis I'm
currently doing. As it is now when I see a dynamic event in the trajectory
and want to examine concurrent changes in some calculated quantity
(excitation energy of a chromophore, for instance, or oscillator strength
of a transition), I have to stop, identify the frame number, find that
value on the x-axis of some plot, and then look at what is happening in y.

I hope I'm making sense here, and I'd be extremely grateful for any further
advice you (or anyone else out there) could offer.

Best Wishes,
-Nathan

--
J. Nathan Scott, Ph.D.