From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 19 2012 - 11:31:20 CST

Hi,
  The built-in TachyonInternal renderer can render arbitrarily high
resolution images, but you will need to tell VMD to change the display
resolution before rendering, using the command "display resize XXX YYY"
where XXX and YYY are the number of pixels in width and height.
Have you worked through the VMD tutorials yet? They contain guidance on
rendering images using renderers like Tachyon:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/