From: Anthony Rey (arey_at_etud.insa-toulouse.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2011 - 23:25:17 CST

Dear VMD experts,

I am using VMD1.9 on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I ran a 10ns simulation on a server and want to analyze it on my
computer. I have the following error message while loading psf+dcd file.

>VMD(1542,0xa0b08540) malloc: *** mmap(size=1822720) failed (error
> code=12)
>*** error: can't allocate region
>*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
. what(): std::bad_alloc
>/Applications/VMD 1.9.app/Contents/MacOS/startup.command: line 7:
> 1542 Abort trap
> "$p/../Resources/VMD.app/Contents/MacOS/VMD" $*

I've seen that many people seem to have the same problem, and it seems
to be a 32-bitness issue. I am running on a 64-bit OS but it seems that
VMD package for Mac are only available in 32-bits. Is this correct?

If so, which version can I install to get a 64-bits version? If I
download the package for linux (LINUX_64 OpenGL, CUDA (Linux (64-bit
Intel/AMD x86) with CUDA)), do you know if I could install this on Mac
OS X?

Otherwise, should I start from scratch, and get the source and compile
it on my OS? I mean, surely there might be a way to analyze a 10ns
simulation on Mac....Has anyone seen this problem before? :-)

Thanks very much for your help.

Tony