From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2011 - 10:24:22 CST

Vlad,
  Sorry for the delayed reply, I'm catching up on emails after being
out of the office for a few days. We don't really do anything special
when compiling the STRIDE binary that is provided along with VMD from
source code. The compilation is done using typical GCC flags for each
target platform.

Perhaps your changes to increase the residue atom count values to
500 broke something inside STRIDE?

We have modified our copy of the STRIDE source code to allow more atoms
in each residue, and to cut out some computations that
VMD doesn't want or need, and we've inserted a call to one of VMD's
fast gridsearch routines to speed up the code that finds the H-bonds.

The two most generic changes we made for our version are shown below:

% diff stride.h ../src.orig/stride.h
45,46c45
< /* #define MAX_AT_IN_RES 75 */
< #define MAX_AT_IN_RES 200

---
> #define MAX_AT_IN_RES             75
% diff stride.c ../src.orig/stride.c
96c96
<   return(SUCCESS);
---
>   return(0);
286c286
<   Cmd->ExposedArea       = NO;
---
>   Cmd->ExposedArea       = YES;
If you like, I can send you our modified STRIDE source so you can
play with it.