From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2011 - 09:22:43 CST

Hi,
  You can use spatial atom selections to do much the same thing as a
user-defined clipping plane, but removing entire atoms and not just
clipping their drawn geometry. The syntax for making such atom selections
is described in the VMD User's Guide, but here are a few examples of
simple spatial atom selections, some of which combine math functions:
  "z > 0"
  "not water and x > 0"
  "sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z) < 30"
  "protein and ((z > 0 and (x/z < -0.5)) or z < 20)"