From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 10:53:08 CDT

Dear Ross,
  There are various mechanisms for doing animations in VMD.
If you just want simple "rotation" or "trajectory" movies, you can
use the 'vmdmovie' extension found in the most recent versions of VMD.
If you want to do something much more custom with zooming and rotations
coordinated together in a detailed fashion, one would presently need to
write a script to drive the animation process. There are a few example
scripts in the VMD script library that should prove useful for this
purpose:
 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/view_change/
 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/view_change_render/
 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/rotation_movie/
 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/trajectory_movie/

If you're looking to do something that requires techniques not covered by
the scripts above, let me know and I can give you further suggestions.

In the long term, I intend to add keyframe animation capabilities to the
'vmdmovie' extension, which would make it much easier to do more sophisticated
animations with VMD.

Thanks,