From: Toni Giorgino (toni.giorgino_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2011 - 07:24:55 CDT

Hi,

concerning the computation of membrane thickness, you might find this
plugin useful: http://multiscalelab.org/utilities/DensityProfileTool . It
computes 1-D density profiles, so projecting a proper selection of atoms
(perhaps "name P") along Z you will get two clear peaks, whose distance you
can measure. As pointed out by Vlad, you will still have to decide on an
atom selection.

Best

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Vlad Cojocaru <
vlad.cojocaru_at_mpi-muenster.mpg.de> wrote:

> **
> Hi Clark,
>
> Average area per lipid: "box size X * box size Y / no. of lipids" (assuming
> your lipid is in the XY plane) ...
> Local area per lipid: more complicated: a good starting point:
> "http://jcp.aip.org/resource/1/jcpsa6/v109/i4/p1517_s1"<http://jcp.aip.org/resource/1/jcpsa6/v109/i4/p1517_s1>(I am sure there are other good references)
>
> Thickness: bring the membrane center of mass at origin (0,0,0). Calculate
> average positive Z coordinates and average negative Z coordinates (assuming
> your lipid is in the XY plane). Substract the negative from the positive
> average and you'll have. You can use different atom selections (your choice
> depending of what thickness you wish to calculate) for the calculation of
> average Z coordinates ...
>
> If you wish, I can dig up the scripts I have been using to calculate these
> in VMD (except for the local area per lipid).
>
> Vlad
>
> On 08/25/2011 08:41 AM, Boyang Wang wrote:
>
> Hi Yong,
>
> in VMD, there is a lipid membrane builder, where you can find the typical
> area per lipid and thickness for the lipid bilayer. Maybe in the reference
> of you paper, you can cite the VMD reference.
>
> Best,
> Boyang
>
> 2011/8/25 张勇 <clarkzhy_at_mail.bnu.edu.cn>
>

>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> Is there anyone here to know how to calculate the area per lipid and
>> thickness for a lipid bilayer in a membrane-protein system?
>>
>> Or, could anyone share the scripts to calculte them?
>>
>> Any help will be highly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Clark
>>

> --
> Boyang Wang, Ph.D.
>

> --
> Dr. Vlad Cojocaru
> Max Planck Institute for Molecular Biomedicine
> Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology
> Roentgenstrasse 20
> 48149 Muenster, Germany
> tel: +49-251-70365-324
> fax: +49-251-70365-399
> email: vlad.cojocaru[at]mpi-muenster.mpg.de
>

> --
> Dr. Vlad Cojocaru
> Max Planck Institute for Molecular Biomedicine
> Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology
> Roentgenstrasse 20
> 48149 Muenster, Germany
> tel: +49-251-70365-324
> fax: +49-251-70365-399
> email: vlad.cojocaru[at]mpi-muenster.mpg.de

--
Toni Giorgino, PhD - toni.giorgino_at_gmail.com - fax +39 0382 1850209
Post-doctoral research fellow - Computational Biochemistry and Biophysics