From: Vlad Cojocaru (vlad.cojocaru_at_mpi-muenster.mpg.de)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2011 - 02:14:15 CDT

Hi Clark,

Average area per lipid: "box size X * box size Y / no. of lipids"
(assuming your lipid is in the XY plane) ...
Local area per lipid: more complicated: a good starting point:
"http://jcp.aip.org/resource/1/jcpsa6/v109/i4/p1517_s1" (I am sure there
are other good references)

Thickness: bring the membrane center of mass at origin (0,0,0).
Calculate average positive Z coordinates and average negative Z
coordinates (assuming your lipid is in the XY plane). Substract the
negative from the positive average and you'll have. You can use
different atom selections (your choice depending of what thickness you
wish to calculate) for the calculation of average Z coordinates ...

If you wish, I can dig up the scripts I have been using to calculate
these in VMD (except for the local area per lipid).

Vlad

--
Dr. Vlad Cojocaru
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Biomedicine