From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 10:21:50 CDT

Jerome,
  What version of the ATI drivers are you using on your machine?
I have a test machine here with an ATI FireGL X1 that works ok, using
their 3.2.4 drivers. That version of their drivers does still have a
few bugs, but its much more stable than the drivers that the XFree86
team ships, and much better than they were earlier this year.

The actual driver RPM I'm using is:
  fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-3.2.4.i586.rpm

I'd recommend that you get the latest ATI drivers and install them,
it'll probably fix the crashing that you're experiencing. If you're
using the Open Source R300 drivers provided by the XFree86 team, I'd
suggest switching to ATI's driver instead.

Thanks,