From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2011 - 15:08:03 CDT

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM, John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Francesco,
>  If you're having trouble with the 275 series driver, I would
> recommend installing the driver version that was posted with CUDA 4.0,
> which is version 270.41.19.  We are using 270.41.19 on all of the machines
> here and we don't have any problems currently.

have no problems with that driver version with both a GeForce GTX 480
and a GeForce GTX 560 Ti here.

[akohlmey_at_fermi Downloads]$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 275.09.07 Wed Jun 8
14:16:46 PDT 2011
GCC version: gcc version 4.4.4 20100630 (Red Hat 4.4.4-10) (GCC)

based on francesco's previous reports,
i would suspect broken hardware.

i would also recommend to check for overheating.

i've recently experienced a case where an overheated
CPU (due to throttling) would drag a machine to the
speed of geological processes which made it look
as if it was crashed.

cheers,
    axel.

--