From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 10:18:12 CDT

Ajasja, Maria,
  Selections are a fixed size in terms of their memory footprint.
The only thing that matters in the case of a leak is how many
such selections are created, not how many atoms they contain...

In older versions of VMD that precede the debugging plugin that
Axel referred to, one can see how many atom selections exist
part way through a run like this:
  atomselect list

Cheers,
  John