From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2011 - 13:09:41 CDT

Nicolas,
  Can you send me your VMD saved state file and matching structure file(s)
so I can reproduce the exact behavior you're seeing? The dashed lines won't
scale down to nothingness like the old ones did when zooming far away
from the molecule, but I hadn't come across a case where it created
a problem in a real scene previously. If you can send me your files I can
make changes to the dashed line rendering loops while still preventing
the kinds of "degenerate cylinder" problems that occured with POV-Ray
with the old implementation under the same "zoomed out" scenario.
I made the same changes to all of the renderer subclasses, so although
the changes were intended primarily to benefit POV-Ray, they all
behave the same way.

Cheers,
  John