From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 15 2011 - 10:35:28 CDT

Hi,
  VMD currently assigns the isovalue slider ranges per-dataset, rather
than per-representation. So, when you create two representations for
the same cube file, and set the "Range" controls for one representation,
they are affecting the range controls for the representation(s) that
reference the same dataset. You can avoid the problem you descirbed
either by loading the cube file twice (thus each instance will get its own
value range), or by setting the "Range" control to the full value range,
and just selecting the isovalue appropriately in each representation.