From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2011 - 16:38:33 CST

Joshua,
  A couple of questions for you. Which Tcl/Tk and FLTK versions did you
compile your VMD against? Are they X11-based builds, or native Cocoa
versions? I've successfully updated the VMD code to build for 64-bit
Cocoa, but FLTK and Tk are fighting with each other and crashing during
startup. If I disable Tk, then FLTK works fine and the main GUIs are
loaded and everything else works fine, but then nothing is the
Extensions menu of course. Was your build done using X11 based FLTK/Tk??
My carbon builds used Tcl/Tk 8.5.9 with the "decarbon" patches, and
a current FLTK 1.3.x snapshot, all compiled for Cocoa.
Any comments you have about what you did that worked for you would
be useful.