From: Justin Gullingsrud (justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 11:16:12 CDT

Paul,

What version of Python do you have installed on your system? The only reason
I can think of at the moment for why VMD's built-in modules wouldn't be
recogized is if the version of Python VMD uses (2.2.2) is different from the
one on your system. That would result in your being able to import regular
Python libraries but not VMD libraries.

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:53:06AM +0100, barrett wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to run Python in VMD.
> To first order it works: e.g.

> is successful and other scripts run fine.
>
> *However* when I try to import VMD I get:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> File "/lmb/flint/barrett/local/lib/scripts/python/VMD.py", line 10, in
> ?
> import animate
> ImportError: No module named animate
>
> Having searched my directories I do not seem to have animate.py, nor any
> of the other modules listed below. Please can anyone tell me how to get
> /find them?

You won't find animate.py or any of the other lowercase libraries because
they are compiled into the VMD binary. The only other pure python scripts
VMD provides are the AtomSel, Label, Material, and Molecule classes, which
are basically wrapper classes for the low-level commands.

Let us know if you continue to have problems with this.

Cheers,
Justin

--
  Justin Gullingsrud        3111 Beckman Institute        217-244-8946
  I been dropping the new science, and I be kicking the new knowledge,