From: Michael Mwalaba (mmwalaba_at_unza.zm)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 08:01:18 CST

Hi,

I am installing VMD on LINUXAMD64. After unpacking, configuring and making install a message pops up saying, "Info: /bin/csh shell not found, installing Bourne shell startup script instead
Make sure /usr/local/bin/vmd is in your path.
VMD installation complete. Enjoy!".

This indicated that I had done it, but upon running vmd it says, "[: 338: i686: unexpected operator
[: 338: i686: unexpected operator
exec: 459: /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX: not found
".
Upon checking my /usr/local/lib/vmd/ directory for sure I can't find /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX. Instead what I am finding close to that is /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUXAMD64. I made a copy of this and edited it to /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX, and running vmd the message I get is:
"[: 338: i686: unexpected operator
[: 338: i686: unexpected operator
/usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX: 1: Syntax error: ")" unexpected".

The README in the vmd-1.8.7 working directory under 'Required Libraries' tells me I require the approriate GL or OpenGL libraries on my system, I wonder whether this is what I don't have, I don't know? What could be the problem, please help.

Cheers,
Mike