From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2010 - 16:40:35 CST

Hi,
  Old versions of MSMS supported this, and the "which atoms" mode
chooser in VMD enabled one to compute the surface corresponding to
all of the atoms, but trimmed it to show only the surface elements
for the selected atoms (e.g. your "within" selection). This functionality
was removed from the newer versions of MSMS, and doesn't work the the
most recent MSMS binaries anymore. I could probably implement some code
in VMD to post-process the mesh returned by MSMS to re-enable this kind
of visualization. I haven't had anyone ask for it in years, until now.
If people would find this functionality useful to have in VMD again,
I could look into what it would take to implement it.