From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2010 - 11:04:44 CST

2010/12/9 JhonY. I. <yijhon_at_hotmail.com>:
> I know atoms can be selected specfically using TCL script in VMD.
> Then, can I also select specific atoms using mouse and change color of those
> atoms?
> If it is possible, what should I do for it?

in order to change the color you either have to
change the property that is used to select the color
for that atom or you would have to change the
color definition for that property.

> It seems that mouse menu doesn't support it and color menu doesn't offer
> custom or select item.
> Do we have to use TCL script for it?

yes. either directly or through writing a mouse callback.

> If so, would you let me know what I should do even though it may be brief
> (if numbers of specific atoms are 3, 5, 6, for instance)?

if you know the number of atoms, you can use atom selections
to change the value of properties of those atoms. this is explained
to some detail in the user's guide and then in some of the
vmd tutorials.

cheers,
    axel.

--