From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 03 2010 - 22:54:44 CDT

Hi,
  VMD can be run interactively, but can also be run in a completely
batch mode scripted method of operation. You could do quick
movie renderings of the simulation trajectory on your web server
making the resulting movie files available for download by the user
running the job.

If you haven't seen it already, have a look at the UNC web-based
interactive PDB viewing site implemented using VMD and Tachyon
for all of the back-end rendering to generate the flash animations:
  http://bass.cs.unc.edu/webapps/pdb/