From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2010 - 11:37:11 CDT

hi aric,

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Aric Newton <agnewton_at_berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Hi Axel,
> Thank you for looking into the issues I was having with my input files.  I
> have replaced the mdfplugin and lammpsplugins.  Upon VMD start up, there is
> a message about these 2 new plugins (see below), but otherwise all runs
> smoothly.
> Found 2 plugins or data handlers in directory
> '/Users/agnewton/Applications/GeochemistrySoftware/VMD/VMD
> 1.8.7.app/Contents/vmd/plugins/MACOSXX86/molfile'.

excellent. the changes have been integrated into the VMD development
CVS tree and will be in the next alpha snapshots and - of course - the
next general release.

> I have followed your recommendation and used the *.psf file that I generated
> from the lammps data file and TopoTools and a *.dcd formatted trajectory for
>  visualization of my trajectories (I wrote redundant simulation trajectories
> (a binary and ASCII text) as insurance).  Your attachments at the bottom
> anticipate the other unspoken issue.  Namely, that my bonds are wrapped
> around the periodic boundaries when animating the trajectory.  I've been

for the scenario of dealing with the very long bonds, i have another
suggestion (outside of not using the regular bonds for visualization):
you can generate .psf file, where the initial set of those long bonds
is simply broken. the topotools plugin has a convenience function
that allows you to break bonds, but you can also do that interactively
using the mouse. since this psf file would only be used for visualization,
it doesn't matter that those bonds are missing, or whether they are
inconsistent with the defined angles, dihedrals and so on.

> able to unwrap the trajectories in the past with the PBC tools (pbc unwrap),
> but as you stated, it isn't very useful when trying to produce an animation
> of the trajectory because the water and ions just wanders out of the cell.

you can fix that by unwrapping first (or storing in unwrapped form from within
LAMMPS) and then wrap with -compound residue.

>  I've been reading the documentation for the PBC tools and thought that it
> would be possible (after unwrapping the trajectory data) to selectively wrap
> the Na ions and the water molecules in the image while avoiding bonds across
> the cell with something like  pbc wrap -sel (Na & H2O) -compound (H2O).  I
> thought that the -compound option would allow me to specify which atoms will
> not be wrapped if a compound (the water) would be split by the

the -compound flag can take one of three arguments: residue segid chain
(or abbreviations as indicated). that would mean that either residues stay
intact when wrapping, or segments or chains. in most cases -compound res
is the best choice.

> wrapping.  Your advice suggests that I have misunderstood the description (I
> haven't tried it)  and that I should try another avenue (maybe a LAMMPS
> script to "unwrap" the trajectory?  It's an option when writing the LAMMPS
> trajectory, maybe post-simulation, too?).

if you want to wrap by water molecule, it is probably most convenient
to already write an unwrapped trajectory in lammps. that will speed up
the process.

cheers,
    axel.

--