From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 11:07:27 CDT

Ajasja,
  I have worked through debugging this, and it looks to me like the
DCD file produced by Vega ZZ is incorrectly formatted. At the point in
the file where the NTITLE data that specifies the number of TITLE lines
should be, there is a HUGE number, 1095062083, which is obviously incorrect.

Either Vega ZZ is outputting the NTITLE data incorrectly, or something has
gone wrong in its DCD output in the records that precede the NTITLE data,
leading to this problem. The fortran record size data that immediately
precedes the NTITLE data seemed to be correct, so it looks to me like
it's just outputting bad data for the NTITLE value. I would suggest that
you contact the Vega ZZ authors about this, and see if you can load this
DCD file into CHARMM. My assumption is that you will not be able to load it
into CHARMM either.

The VMD DCD plugin is actually pretty liberal about accepting
numerous variations of DCD files, but this one already has some
bad data in the DCD header itself, making it hard to work around.

I have already tried changing the DCD plugin so that it detects this case
and tries to soldier on, but the data that follows the NTITLE word also
seems out of place even if I tell the VMD DCD plugin to skip past the
troubled NTITLE block.

I'll spend a short time more looking at this to see if I can give you
more concrete suggestions to send to the Vega ZZ authors, but this is
clearly a mis-formatted DCD file.