From: TRINH Minh Hieu (mhtrinh_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 12:59:46 CDT

Hi,

I have a HP Mini 311c with Openuse 11.3, Xfce 4.6.2 and Windows XP
SP3, that have
Nvidia ION LE + Atom N270 (1.6GHz) + 2Go DDR3 Ram. *

The battery stand for aroung 4h-5h.

I have Nvidia driver 256.35

Here is what I have when launch vmd:
Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 1545MB (88%)
Info) Detected 1 available CUDA accelerator:
Info) [0] ION LE 2 SM_1.1 @ 1.10 GHz, 253MB RAM, KTO, ZCP
Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
Warning) Detected X11 'Composite' extension: if incorrect display occurs
Warning) try disabling this optional X server feature.
Info) OpenGL renderer: ION LE/PCI/SSE2
Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(4) MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVF)
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (8192x8192), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)

On Linux, when I open the Fab structure 1AY1 of an antibody that have
: 3282 atoms and 423 residus, with cache mode on, I got :
6 fps with VDW in normal mode and 12.5 fps in GLSL mode
4.8 fps with surf in normal mode and 24 fps in GLSL mode

If you need more informations, I can do some more testing,
Regards,

     M.H. Trinh

> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 12:01:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Gianluca Interlandi <gianluca_at_u.washington.edu>
> Subject: vmd-l: Experience with Asus Netbook
>
> Hi!
>
> It might be a bit off topic. I wanted to ask whether anybody has had any
> experience with the Asus EEE netbook:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220805&cm_re=asus_eee-_-34-220-805-_-Product
>
> ASUS Eee PC 1215N-PU17-BK Black Intel Atom D525(1.80GHz) Dual Core 12.1"
> WXGA 2GB Memory 250GB HDD NetBook
>
> In particular concerning the graphics card: Next-generation NVIDIA ION
> graphics
>
> Has anybody tested it with glxgear, how many frames per second? Is it
> enough to run VMD on it and display and smoothly rotate a molecule (a few
> 100 AA) with SURF or VDW on? I plan to use it mainly for conference
> presentations. Does it have openGL 3D acceleration?
>
> Thanks,
>
>      Gianluca
>
> - -----------------------------------------------------
> Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca_at_u.washington.edu
>                     +1 (206) 685 4435
>                     http://artemide.bioeng.washington.edu/
>
> Postdoc at the Department of Bioengineering
> at the University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.
> - -----------------------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:36:52 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rob <spamrefuse_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: vmd-l: Re: plugin for Abinit output files
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>   I'm finally catching up on a long backlog of emails...
>> I'm testing compiles of your plugin on multiple platforms presently.
>> Can you send me some example ABINIT files I should be able to load with it?
>> (either email, or post them on your web page in the same directory
>>  as the abinit plugin source code link you sent)
>>
>> As soon as I get past a few small compilation issues, I could
>> then add the code to the VMD CVS tree. Are you agreeable with it
>> being open source like the other VMD plugins?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   John Stone
>
> It's in place:
>
> http://skku.homeip.net/lahaye/vmd/
>
> there are the GEO and DEN files of the Silicon unit cell.
>
> GEO has the geometry.
>
> The DEN file has the charge density, but also the geometry is part
> of the density header information. Therefore when you load the
> charge density, you can use two representations for showing
> the atoms (Drawing Method CPK) and the charge density
> (Drawing Method Isosurface).
>
> Rob.

> End of vmd-l digest V1 #1689

   M. TRINH Minh Hieu