From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 25 2010 - 20:02:55 CDT

You were right. It seems that this is the case with openSUSE 11.3 (and
probably earlier versions, too). So, I aliased it with

     alias vmd 'xterm -geometry 80x11-0-0 -e vmd &'

and now I get the same behavior as before!

Thanks,

      Gianluca

PS: In case anybody is installing openSUSE11.3 and has an NVIDIA card, you
should use NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.35.run and not the latest driver
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.53.run because VMD (and probably other openGL
windows too) will cause your desktop to freeze for several seconds
whenever a windows is moved around.