From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 19:58:19 CDT

Hi,
  The existing MacOS versions of VMD are all 32-bit binaries due to
the fact that Apple doesn't provide a 64-bit version of the Carbon APIs
that are used by FLTK, Tcl/TK, and other libraries required by VMD.
This means that in practice, the standard MacOS versions of VMD are
limited to working with datasets that fit within the user-mode-accessible
32-bit addressing range provided by MacOS X.

At the moment, the only way to build a 64-bit version of VMD on MacOS X
would be to compile it to use the X-windows API rather than using the
native MacOS X Aqua GUI interfaces. I've done a few experiments with this
and it should be possible to do such a build but it requires some tricky
steps in compiling FLTK, Tcl/Tk and other libraries that want to use the
native MacOS APIs by default (which are 32-bit only at present).