From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 13:07:13 CDT

Hi,
  The error you're getting there is coming from the Tcl interpreter
when it runs the script that implements the membrane plugin. I can't
guess where it's coming from. In order to nail it down we'd have to
walk through the script while it runs on your specific dataset
and figure out where that error is originating from. You could do this
yourself by adding some "puts" calls in the membrane.tcl script.
Rather than spending time on this with the old version of the code however,
I would suggest that you should begin by getting the latest test version of
VMD and try the newer version of the membrane plugin and see if you still
have the same problem or not:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/