From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2010 - 09:23:02 CDT

Nicolas,
  The glowlights script simply adds distance-attenuated lights to
the VMD scene at the user-specified locations. You could certainly
replace existing atoms with lights, though the typical use is just to
add some lights near regions of interest, as you suggest below. Since
the added lights can be attenuated rapidly with distance, their lighting
contribution is primarily local, or short-range, affecting only the parts
of the scene nearby. At present this is implemented as a script just for
Tachyon renderings, but I plan to add some kind of built-in glow light
support to VMD in a future version, when I get a chance to write the
corresponding OpenGL code.

Cheers,
  John