From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2010 - 09:00:38 CDT

Hi,
  If your old machine has a dedicated AMD or NVIDIA GPU it would
undoubtably outperform the integrated Intel graphics on your laptop.
These Intel integrated graphics chips really aren't very usable for
games or for graphics intensive programs like VMD. I would expect
the graphics hardware integrated into the Intel i processors to be
even slower yet, due to very limited bandwidth to main memory.
Real GPUs have their own graphics memory and have memory bandwidths
up around 100 GB/sec, but the best CPUs out there have memory bandwidths
below 20 GB/sec, and up to now they weren't sharing it with the graphics
hardware. I would strongly suggest that people avoid buying machines
with these kinds of integrated graphics, while they may work for playing
movies and some very lightweight graphics applications, they are
absolutely a dead-end for molecular visualization, and particularly
for large complexes.