From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 22:52:13 CDT

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Yangyang Shen <yyshen_at_rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed VMD 1.8.7 Windows OpenGL version on my laptop, but the
> display is slow, even freeze itself, when I try to rotate the molecules.
> Does anyone know what might be the problem?
>
> My laptop is a Dell Latitude E5410 with Intel Core i5 @ 2.4GHz and 3GB of
> RAM. I'm not sure about the graphic card, though.

vmd prints a message about the detected graphics into the console window.

please cut and paste.

> Does anyone have similar problem? Please share your solution. Thanks a lot!

if you have slow graphics chip, there is little that you can do.
if it is misconfigured, you need to fix it.

chances are, that you have intel chipset graphics,
and those are slow. how slow also depends a lot
on how complex a visualization you have.

please provide an example.

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/