From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 26 2010 - 09:46:45 CDT

Hi,
  The problems you're having are due to bugs in the Intel graphics drivers.
In order to get past these issues, you'll need to find a different graphics
driver version that fixes these problems. The Intel graphics drivers for
Linux have been widely known to have problems for several years now.
To be honest, it amazes me that even after all of the time and complaints
that have gone by that very little seems to have changed in regards to
these kinds of problems with their Linux drivers. Both NVIDIA and AMD
have much more reliable graphics drivers on Linux, and they both produce
GPUs that are much more featureful and perform better, so if you have
the means to upgrade your hardware to a different GPU or graphics
chipset, that is what I would recommend first and foremost. Time is too
precious to waste on non-functioning drivers and low performance hardware.
If you can't get upgrade the hardware and you are unable to obtain a driver
that fixes the problem, then I would suggest sticking with Windows, as
Intel seems to put far more effort into making their Windows drivers usable.