From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2010 - 10:32:35 CDT

Hi,
  You didn't indicate whether you were superuser when you tried the
install or not? Also, where did you unpack the VMD distribution tar
file prior to the install? It would seem to me that you've got permissions
problems in either the working directory you're in, or as a result of
not being superuser, or the like. (and some machines have root quashing
for certain directories, so it could be the other way around too)