From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2010 - 08:58:28 CDT

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 15:45 +0200, Ajasja Ljubetič wrote:
> By IUPAC angles I meant the amino acid side-chain (chi_n) angles as
> defined by the IUPAC body by the rules defined here (this is quite an
> old document, but I believe the rules are still valid). The problem is
> choosing the "principal torsion angle" as defined here.
> Basically, heavier atoms have priority, so the principal torsion angle
> around one bond is the one formed by the heaviest atoms.
>

> I think I will just have to sit down and define the principal torsion
> angle of each amino acid by hand. Then I can define a TCL function
> that returns a list quadruples of atoms names comprising all the
> side-chain principal torsion angles and use that in a selection macro.

that sounds awfully complicated. since you have the mass information,
why not take the list of all dihedrals, sort them by the third entry
(lsort should be able to do that) and then weed out all the dihedrals
about the same bond that have lower mass. for that you just need to
generate a "mass map".

> Or even more likely, I will just export the 40000 frames I currently
> have to pdb files and analyse them using bioshell. This will be less
> efficient in term of processor time, but probably it will be quicker
> than developing a new tcl script in terms of my time.

only, if you don't have to do this or something similar again.
investing some effort into well written VMD/tcl code will always
pay off in the long run. even if only providing you with a library
of "solutions" for common problems that you don't have to figure
out the next time. many people are always looking for "the one and
only" solution for the problem at hand and are not thinking in
writing reusable components.

> Since atom names differ among various forcefields I think this would
> be difficult to implement in a consistent manner using topotools.

yes. name based processing would be bad. but masses are often available
and can be guessed based on some heuristics, if needed (topotools has
some features for that, too).

cheers,
   axel.