From: Marek Maly (marek.maly_at_ujep.cz)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 19:35:39 CDT

  Dear Olaf, John, Ajasja and Axel

  first of all thanks a lot for your replies !

  I found out that in our PC lab where Win XP 64 bit are installed
  VMD works perfectly with given VTF file.

  I have to confirm again that on my office PC (Win 32 bit) it does not
  work as well as on PC of my colleague (Windows 32 bit). Also on my
emulated Win 32
  bit (Parallels Desktop) it does not work as well.

  #3 I have again to confirm a true mystery about remote connection.
  If I connect from my MAC (PowerBook Pro) using Viscosity
  (http://www.viscosityvpn.com/) and Remote Desktop Connection Client for
Mac
  (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/01/microsoft-remote-desktop-connection-client-for-snow-leopard/)
  to my Office Windows machine and start VMD on my office machine using
  this remote connection it works !!!
  I am really curious about explanation of this strange phenomena.

  Anyway if I try to do the same experiment using OpenVPN and the standard
  Win Remote Desktop which are run from my emulated Windows 32 bit (on
Parallels Desktop ) from the
  same MAC laptop, it does not work.

  Regarding to the status of transfer from linux to Win machine, it seems
  that Olaf did a great job and so the VMD can read without problems both
types of VTF files (with unix
  or dos line endings) I confirmed this fact on my office machine using
above mentioned Viscosity/RDC
  remote connection and I also verified this fact on my native OS X (Snow
Leopard 10.6) installation of VMD
  (again v. 1.8.7 as in all cases of Windows ver.).

  Here:

  http://physics.ujep.cz/~mmaly/VTF/

  you can find VTF file which I am testing ( VFT_file.zip ) then also
  precise specifications of all computers/Win versions which I tried (
WinXP_..... ) if on the
  end of the name of the picture is _OK it means that there it works, if
there is _KO it means that there it
  does not work. I put there also three WinError_... snaps which
illustrate VMD crash (
  sorry for Czech language ).

  So at the end it seems that it is somehow connected with version of Win
  system. It can also indicate that some important software or just .dll
library is missing. Also we
  have here the mystery with remote connection.

  If anybody has any idea/suggestion what to try to make things work
properly I would be really very very grateful !
  I would also appreciate if anybody who has Win installation of VMD can
report if he succeeded to open given VTF trajectory
file using his VMD installation or not. I am especially curious about Win
32 bit versions.
It is important for me to have at least some statistic because I would
like to have
lesson for the students with their own laptops (and so of course different
versions of OS - mainly Windows).

  Thank you in advance !

  Best wishes,

    Marek