From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 10:37:25 CST

Hi,
  To me it sounds like CAVElib is doing something that is causing a
software fallback in the OpenGL driver. I would suggest running it
in a profiler and see if you can determine what OpenGL function(s)
are consuming the unsually high runtime. I would suggest testing VMD
outside of CAVElib and see if you observe the same problem. If not,
then it must be something specific about the interaction between
CAVElib and the OpenGL driver.