From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 08:58:23 CST

Olaf,
  There are multiple varieties of cones in VMD. Before we added code
to allow cones to be truncated we always emitted POV-Ray cones. Now
that one can truncate the cone we are generating triangulated cones.
It's not really specific to POV-Ray, it's just that we haven't written
code to do this by any alternative method (e.g. adding a clipping plane
for each cone, or some similar method). If you want to try your hand at
improving the POV-Ray cone export, you can modify the POV-Ray
FileRenderer subclass to do something different.

Cheers,
  John