From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 21 2010 - 23:43:32 CST

You can use spatial criteria to create atom selections and then
query the number of atoms in the resulting selection. As for the
possibility of double counting atoms, perhaps due to slight overlap
in your spatial selection critera or for some other reason, you could
presumably determine if any double-counting has occured by using a third
"and" selection, constructed from both of the other selections, and seeing
if you get any atoms that are in both of the subunit selections you create.
You could then subtract off any results that somehow manage to get double
counted. You can get the number of atoms in a selection using "$sel num".