From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 14 2010 - 16:44:32 CST

Rich,
  My AIX builds are based on AIX 6.1 on the NCSA "BluePrint" Blue Waters
software testbed machine here at Illinois. I'm using Tcl 8.5.6 and I
compiled everything from source myself. When I compiled Tcl from
source, I had to workaround a bug in the Tcl stack space checking
that causes problems on AIX, documented here:
  http://old.nabble.com/--tcl-Bugs-1889719---Stack-space-check-fails-on-AIX-td18235084.html

For both VMD and NAMD, we compiled Tcl on this AIX 6.x box
using configure flags (approximately) like these:

define CFLAGS="-DTCL_NO_STACK_CHECK=1" at configure time, or edit the
makefile to add that definition.

env CC=xlc CFLAGS="-DTCL_NO_STACK_CHECK=1" --prefix=$HOME/tcl85
--disable-threads --disable-shared

I don't know if using xlc_r matters if you're just linking the library to
code that could use pthreadds.

More info on AIX stacks: https://computing.llnl.gov/mpi/aix_stack.html

You may want "-bmaxdata:0x80000000" at link time.