From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 01:17:25 CST

Rob,
  No, it's not VMD. The source of your problem is as I described previously.
You will note that your previous note showed that the crash was occuring
in the X11 driver, not in VMD itself...

Your system has a (buggy) non-accelerated software-based video driver,
and the solution to your problem is to replace it with a real hardware
OpenGL driver. Going further, it is a pitiful waste for you to be
using a software OpenGL rasterizer when you actually already have a
real GPU in your machine! Trust me, you want to install the
proper NVIDIA drivers... You should also heed the warning about
disabling the composite extension on your machine, as it is
famously buggy and has been known to cause problems by itself
irrespective of what video driver is in use.

Cheers,
  John