From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 11:15:09 CST

Hi,
  If you run VMD like this, do you get warnings about missing libraries?:
vmd -dispdev text

If so, then you need to add the the compatibility c++ libraries.
You said you tried this previously but that it failed, can you be
more specific about what you tried and what sort of errors or failure
you encountered? (e.g. is it an Ubuntu error, or network timeout, or what?)